You are here
Solving Complex Problems - A Systems Thinking Approach
In todays world characterised by complexity and uncertainty, organisations face a multitude of issues, all of which are complex and inter-connected. The issues are aggravated by a poor appreciation of the whole situation – much like 4 blind men each feeling a part of an elephant. As a result, What is the real problem? becomes a common refrain at senior management.
This programme introduces an approach to managing complexity using Systems Thinking. It enables the participants to appreciate the BIG picture and the inter-connections between the subsystems. The participants will gain an insight into separating symptoms from real causes, and find high leverage points to implement effective solutions.
Through this programme, participants will increase their problem solving capability, thereby bringing long-lasting efficiency and improvement at the workplace. In addition, the ability to appreciate the big picture enables them to formulate strategies, leading to aligned effort, less wastage, and ultimately improved revenue and profit margins.
- Analyse an issue in terms of components and their inter-connections
- Synthesise perspectives from different stakeholders into a coherent picture
- Assess the situation with a systems-level perspective
- Identify the symptoms, root cause and consequences of a complex issue
- Resolve the complex issue by creating or identifying new paradigm, new mindset, new leverage points and/or new action
- Overview and concept of complexity – the Beer Game
- Concept of Systems Thinking and its application
- What is the real problem? - Separating symptom from root cause
- What is causing the problem? - Appreciating the underlying structures
- Identifying leverage
- Consolidating and application tips
Level 4 - Managers &
TAN Hong Wee, who has had 26 years’ experience as a leader in the Singapore Armed Forces. Leveraging on his vast experience as an operational leader, he was subsequently appointed to the SAF Centre for Leadership Development, where he was the administrator of the keystone Leadership and Organisational Programme – in that sense, Hong Wee combines real ground experience with the ability to teach and inspire.
Since leaving civil service in 2013, Hong Wee has been actively engaged in Leadership Development and Consultancy for a wide spectrum of organisations in both public and private sectors. Through his consultancy, Hong Wee has amassed real-life applications and examples of leadership in context. These come to life in both his programmes as well as his two books: ‘Leader As Coach, Leader As Facilitator’and ‘Be Smarter Than Your Problem – The Art of Systems Thinking’. Hong Wee holds 2 Master’s Degree: University of Cambridge (Mathematics) and Naval Postgraduate School (Systems Engineering).
SIM Member Fee (S$)
Non-member Fee (S$)
Total Fee (S$)
Total Fee (S$)
|Early Bird Fees|
To enjoy 10% discount off the fees above, please register four weeks before programme commencement date.
Enquiries : Mei Yen - 62486137 | 62466746, firstname.lastname@example.org