You are here
Solving Complex Problems - A Systems Thinking Approach
In todays world characterised by complexity and uncertainty, organisations face a multitude of issues, all of which are complex and inter-connected. The issues are aggravated by a poor appreciation of the whole situation – much like 4 blind men each feeling a part of an elephant. As a result, What is the real problem? becomes a common refrain at senior management.
This programme introduces an approach to managing complexity using Systems Thinking. It enables the participants to appreciate the BIG picture and the inter-connections between the subsystems. The participants will gain an insight into separating symptoms from real causes, and find high leverage points to implement effective solutions.
Through this programme, participants will increase their problem solving capability, thereby bringing long-lasting efficiency and improvement at the workplace. In addition, the ability to appreciate the big picture enables them to formulate strategies, leading to aligned effort, less wastage, and ultimately improved revenue and profit margins.
- Analyse an issue in terms of components and their inter-connections
- Synthesise perspectives from different stakeholders into a coherent picture
- Assess the situation with a systems-level perspective
- Identify the symptoms, root cause and consequences of a complex issue
- Resolve the complex issue by creating or identifying new paradigm, new mindset, new leverage points and/or new action
- Overview and concept of complexity – the Beer Game
- Concept of Systems Thinking and its application
- What is the real problem? - Separating symptom from root cause
- What is causing the problem? - Appreciating the underlying structures
- Identifying leverage
- Consolidating and application tips
Duration and Time
Duration: 14 hours (2 days)
Dates: September 12 & 13, 2019
December 9 & 10, 2019
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Full Course Fee: $963.00 SIM members / $1,123.50 Non-members
SkillsFuture Credit is applicable for Singapore Citizens aged 25 years old and above only
Inclusive of 7% GST (
*Terms and conditions apply
Level 4 - Managers &
Tan Hong Wee is an organisation development consultant who specialises in Systems Thinking. He has delivered application and education workshops for Singapore Armed Forces, MCYS, Renci Community Hospital, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, DSO National Laboratories and AVA. He believes in workshops that are pragmatic, relevant and useful for everyone. Hong Wee holds a M.A. (Mathematics) from Cambridge University, UK and a M.Sc. (Systems Engineering) from Naval Postgraduate School, USA.
SIM Member Fee (S$)
Non-member Fee (S$)
Early Bird Fees
10% DISCOUNT OFF THE FEES ABOVE
- terms & conditions applies ; please call to enquire.
Early Bird Fees closing date for the programme :
Programme Scheduled Date
6 & 7 December 2018 -
25 October 2018
| || |
12 & 13 September 2019
| || |
28 October 2019
| || |
Enquiries : Mei Yen - 62486137 | 62466746, email@example.com
Foreign participants sponsored by their companies, GST is not applicable. If payment is made by a Singapore-registered company, GST will apply.
Non-members are welcome to sign up for SIM membership to enjoy the discounted rate. To sign up for SIM Membership, please visit www.pd.sim.edu.sg/membership/overview, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6248 9489. To register for the programmes now, select the preferred programme run-dates below through the register icon. "Register", which will bring you to the registration page.