You are here
Ama’s Finance & Accounting For Non-financial Managers
Financial skills are fundamental to any managerial position. This 2-day programme from the American Management Association (AMA) will provide you with the financial literacy and tools you will need to succeed in your career and to interface effectively with finance professionals. Finance and accounting can sometimes seem like an arcane subject to non-financial people. This programme uses a graphical approach to learning finance and accounting that demystifies the subject matter and makes it easier to grasp and retain the concepts being presented.
This programme will enable participants to make managerial decisions that incorporate the financial perspective in addition to other perspectives so that shareholder value can be enhanced.
· Know how to read financial statements and to evaluate the financial health of a business based on these statements.
· Be able to make managerial decisions (both operational and capital expenditure) based on the right financial costs and benefits.
· Fundamental Accounting Concepts – accounting vs finance, accrual vs cash accounting, revenue recognition methods, historical cost vs fair value accounting, the principles of conservatism, materiality and consistency.
· Understanding Financial Statements –profit and loss account, balance sheet, statement of changes in shareholders’equity, cash flow statement, consolidation of subsidiaries, accounting for affiliates (associated companies), accumulated other comprehensive income.
· Understanding Double Entry Accounting – graphically,and using debits and credits
· Evaluating Financial Statements – liquidity ratios, efficiency ratios, leverage ratios, profitability ratios, effect of leverage on ROE, Economic Value Added
· Improving Profitability through Cost Analysis and Profit Planning – fixed vs variable costs, breakeven analysis, concept of contribution margin, incremental analysis for managerial decision
· Making Effective Capital Expenditure Decisions – payback, net present value and IRR techniques, the flaws of payback and the pitfalls of IRR as decision tools, discounting of cash flows, profitability index for choosing between projects when resources are limited
(Level 2) Supervisors, Executive, & Emerging Managers
(Level 3) New Managers
(Level 4) Managers
Alfred Chan is Executive Director in a leadership and management development company that represents the American Management Association in Singapore and several other countries in the region. He has been in management consulting for over 20 years, with Arthur D. Little, Andersen Consulting (now Accenture), Arthur Andersen and KPMG, in the last two firms as a Partner and a Director respectively. Prior to management consulting, he was in investment banking with Morgan Guaranty Trust and DBS Bank. Mr Chan has an MBA (Finance Major) from Columbia Business School in New York and a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Melbourne, earned under a Colombo Plan Scholarship.
SIM Member Fee (S$)
Non-member Fee (S$)
Total Fee (S$)
Total Fee (S$)
|Early Bird Fees|
To enjoy 10% discount off the fees above, please register four weeks before programme commencement date.
Enquiries : Angel Tan - 62489437 | 62466746, firstname.lastname@example.org
Foreign participants sponsored by their companies, GST is not applicable. If payment is made by a Singapore-registered company, GST will apply.
Non-members are welcome to sign up for SIM membership to enjoy the discounted rate. To sign up for SIM Membership, please visit www.pd.sim.edu.sg/membership/overview, email email@example.com or call 6248 9489. To register for the programmes now, select the preferred programme run-dates below through the register icon. "Register", which will bring you to the registration page.
|Date||Time||Venue||Registration Closing Date|
|14/09/2020 - 15/09/2020||09.00 am - 5.00 pm||SIM Management House, 41 Namly Avenue, Singapore 267616||Aug 31, 2020||Register|
|07/10/2020 - 08/10/2020||09.00 am - 5.00 pm||SIM Management House, 41 Namly Avenue, Singapore 267616||Sep 23, 2020||Register|
|07/12/2020 - 08/12/2020||09.00 am - 5.00 pm||SIM Management House, 41 Namly Avenue, Singapore 267616||Nov 23, 2020||Register|